By John Byrnes
Misinformation abounds, regardless of the topic in question; personal injury lawsuits are just as susceptible to myths as any other field. Tell anyone that you’re considering a personal injury lawsuit and you’re likely to hear at least one of the misconceptions listed below. Be sure to educate yourself regarding these myths and avoid making a poor decision.
Are you guilty of believing any of these myths?
1. Everyone files frivolous personal injury lawsuits. In reality, the number of personal injury lawsuits has been dropping for years. The numbers are actually down approximately 25% over the last 15 years. The majority of these lawsuits are anything but frivolous. Even the case of multi-million dollar rewards, few people would choose to exchange places with the injured plaintiffs.
2. No one every wins personal injury cases. As the majority of personal injury attorneys are only paid when a positive outcome is reached. Few are willing to take on cases without a good chance of winning. If you have a solid case, you have an excellent chance of winning. It’s important to allow an attorney to review your case; it might be much better than you believe. If you case lacks the necessary merit to proceed, your attorney will be happy to explain why.
3. Medical malpractice lawsuits are destroying doctors. This type of lawsuit is on the decline, too. Fewer than 2% of all lawsuits are related to medical malpractice. Doctors and medical groups have malpractice insurance. In spite of the cost of this insurance, physicians still continue to earn very healthy salaries. Medical malpractice suits are almost always found to be meritorious, which is fancy way of saying that it was reasonable to file the suit.
4. I have as much time as I want to file a case in my state. Every state has its own statute of limitations for every type of case, including personal injury cases. If you wait until after the ‘expiration date’ to file your case, there is little anyone can do. Avoid waiting too long; there’s no time like the present to get started. Contact an experienced attorney today.
5. Only lazy people that want easy money would ever file a personal injury claim. As stated earlier, the people that win million dollar settlements are not in an envious position. Most would quickly trade the money to regain their prior level of health. If you have been injured due to the negligence of another party or due to a faulty product or service, you are certainly entitled to compensation.
Did you believe any of these myths? If so, replace those beliefs with the truth. Faulty beliefs can only lead to poor decisions, decisions that could impact the rest of your financial future. Remember, many awards include lost present and future wages, as well as present and future medical expenses. If you’ve been injured, contact a personal injury attorney immediately to review your case. Ensure that you receive the financial compensation you deserve.