By John Byrnes
Medical device lawsuits are becoming more common, especially among those devices that are placed in the body. These devices are simply likely to cause injury. Be sure that you’re aware of the risks associated with medical devices and contact a malpractice personal injury attorney if you have any questions or concerns.
Are you using any of these devices?
1. Breast implants and cancer: The FDA has been examining this issue for 13 years and finally decided that is a link between breast implants and a specific type of cancer that targets the immune system, anaplastic large cell lymphoma or ALCL. It doesn’t seem to matter whether the implants are composed of saline or silicone. There are no lawsuits to date, but it’s worth discussing the issue with your attorney if you have breast implants and ALCL.
2. Cochlear ear implants and injury: These implants stimulate the cochlea of the ear directly, rather than simply amplifying sound like a common hearing aid. Some patients have reported severe pain and electrical shocks. The implants manufactured by Advance Bionics seem particularly susceptible to these problems. There have been successful lawsuits and there are currently over 40 pending against Advance Bionics.
3. Lap-Band adjustable gastric banding: This weight loss device has been the subject of scrutiny by the FDA, who believes the medical centers that use this device are engaged in false advertising and have failed to inform patients of the risks. Half of the people that receive this device are forced to have it removed at some point. The re-operation rate to address complications is quite high, 60%. Congress is even looking at this medical device.
4. Vaginal mesh: This device is commonly used to treat stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women injured by this medical device. Common side effects of this product include bleeding, pain, infection, vaginal tightening, urinary problems, and pain during sex.
5. NuvaRing: This is a contraceptive device that has caused many cardiac-related injuries in the women that use it. These include blood clots, pulmonary embolism, heart attack, stroke, gallbladder disease, and even death. Merck, the parent company of the NuvaRing manufacturer has already paid over $100 million to settle nearly 1,900 lawsuits.
6. Stryker trident hip replacement: This ceramic on ceramic hip replacement system has been the victim of many quality control issues. Patients commonly report side effects from this medical device and unusual squeaking sounds created by the implant. The side effects include loosening, pain, fractures, and fragments of the implant breaking free. While lawsuits against the manufacturer were initially blocked, a recent lawsuit was permitted to proceed.
If you’ve suffered an injury as a result of any medical device, contact a personal injury attorney. Sometimes those nagging aches and pains are really side effects caused by the medical devices that claimed to enhance your life. The companies that manufactured these devices can be held accountable for their products. Get the help and advice you need to receive the proper restitution.